top of page

Household Support Fund Information

Dear Parents/Carers

I am writing to you today to inform you that unfortunately supermarket vouchers will not be available for

future school holiday periods. The council used part of its’ allocation under the government’s Household

Support Fund to provide supermarket vouchers for families eligible for free school meals for the October

half-term and Christmas holiday periods.

There is information about how families can access support through the remainder of the fund on the

council’s website at for further details, please see below.

Household Support Fund

Support is available to households in Birmingham over the winter using funding from the Government’s

Household Support Fund. In addition to targeting some of the fund to provide supermarket vouchers to

families eligible for free school meals for the October half term and Christmas holiday periods distributed

to by Birmingham schools to families, a new grant fund is now available to households in the most need

with food, energy and water bills and wider essential costs.

What support is available through the grant fund and how to apply?

Grants may be applied for up to £150 per household.

As part of the application process, individuals will be signposted to other support available to them in the

locality such as: money and welfare advice, utility support, food bank/pantry, and connect families with

local community resources.

There are 5 categories of support that can be applied for:

1. Food

2. Gas, electricity, water

3. Essentials linked to gas/electricity/water costs

4. Wider essentials

5. Housing costs

Support from this fund does not cover recent Government announcements in relation to £150 Council Tax

rebates or the £200 energy utility provider support announced by the HM Treasury in February 2022.

Who is eligible?

Applicants will need to undergo an assessment process, with a trusted partner agency, to determine

eligibility to access the fund.

How to apply?

Once eligibility is confirmed, the trusted partner agency will complete your application to receive your

hardship grant. To identify your local trusted partner agency please visit Birmingham Voluntary Service