Sixth Form 

at Archbishop Ilsley Catholic School

Student Finance

Most students won’t have to pay tuition fees up front to go to university or college as there’s a wide variety of financial help available from Student Finance England (SFE).

All eligible students, no matter what their household income is, can apply for:

• a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the full cost of fees; and

• a Maintenance Loan to help with their living costs.

If your household income is less than £42,620 a year, your child will also be able to get a Maintenance Grant, which doesn’t have to be paid back.

Tuition Fee Loans pay for your course. Maintenance Loans and Grants help with living costs (eg accommodation, books, bills). You have to pay back loans but not grants. You might be eligible to get extra help on top of this.

Many students won’t have to pay back the full amount they borrow, meaning university or college could cost them a lot less than the tuition fee on paper suggests. The actual cost of going is determined largely by income after graduation, rather than the cost of the fees.

A student’s university or college may also offer bursaries, scholarships or other kinds of financial help – so it’s always worth checking with them too.

You will need to apply for student finance every year. You don’t need a confirmed place at university or college to apply.

SFE Parents’ Guide to student finance



Archbishop Ilsley Catholic School

Victoria Road, 

Acocks Green, 


B27 7XY

Tel:  0121 706 4200 | Fax:  0121 707 6597


Proudly part of the St. Teresa of Calcutta Multi Academy Company

Registered Company No. 11844357

Registered Address:

Victoria Road | Acocks Green | Birmingham B27 7XY

Tel:  0121 706 4200 |

Website Design by Mr J Carroll

© Copyright 2020  |  Archbishop Ilsley Catholic School